Friday, February 17, 2012

Painting My Future: Starting an Unforeseen Mountain Climb One Year Ago


About this time last year, I was researching images for cherry blossom pictures. Springtime was arriving and I was looking in all sorts of places for reference images where I could put some small studies together signifying the harbingers of spring. Part of my thought process emphasizing fruit tree blossoms was triggered due to a review of Van Gogh's image of Japoniere -Almond Blossoms (1890). Many of the Impressionists were influenced by Japanese paintings and this one in particular shows that influence in Van Gogh's effort. I liked the overall composition and color contrast and was thinking that several small paintings could potentially be accomplished as daily painting initiatives focusing particularly on the branches and the blossoms in detail and arrangement. I never did get to do that.


Photo Courtesy: Van Gogh - Japoniere Almond Blossoms (1890) - Internet Commons Fair Use

As you may recall, on 11 March 2011, Japan incurred a devastating earthquake and tsunami. That event changed the scope and direction of what I wanted to portray. My cherry blossom research had incidentally included historical images of the peak period in Washington DC. Those trees were a gift signifying peace, healing, and restoration from Japan to the US people after WWII.  That concept influenced my thinking about the meaning and feeling of the blossoms and was timely Insight.

I was preparing a speech to a group of people about meeting challenges and was developing  the topic of "Why We Climb a Mountain" and, of course, Mount Fuji, was found in some of the cherry blossom images. As I was winding all these keywords [i.e., journey, tidal wave, tsunami, earthquake, mountain, Fuji, cherry blossom] into my dual tasks of content and image searches for speechmaking and artistic endeavor, I came across a particular woodblock cut entitled The Sea of Satta by Hiroshige (1858) that depicted most of the components of the composition I was interested in portraying except for the cherry blossoms. This was an important historical and Japanese artistic Influence.

 Photo Courtesy: Hiroshige - The Sea of Satta (1858) - Internet Commons Fair Use

I chose to compose a triptych (a three-panel effort in landscape orientation) to facilitate using the painted images in a step-wise progression for my speech exercise and also wanted to include the cherry blossoms as the harbinger of hope and restoration based on those recent events in Japan. I intended to at least finish a rough study of the Artifact to satisfy my intent to derive content, image, composition, color, and overall unity and utilize the images during my speech presentation as well. My thinking at the time was that I would get to a finished Artifact in a more durable medium at a later time.


Souvenir Art: Copyright James E. Martin (2011) - A Study of the Sea of Life

So the short version of the Study of Life's Journey goes something like this: We start in Our Center of Intent with Our Ship and Set Sail in Fair Winds on a Calm Sea to Our Destination to climb The Mountain that we see On the Distant Horizon. But along the way we may get diverted where there may be Hills to Climb with hardscrabble Bonzai trees clinging to the steep Cliffs in High Winds and Hard Weather and there may even be Sweet Blossoms of Spring or Breezes for Repose, Restoration and Hope as we Hike along those difficult Hills and Valleys along the Path. Occasionally, out of immediate sight, we may get hit with a Tsunami that seemingly takes us quite Off Course and may even be Devastating to the Intended Journey. Tsunamis are caused by large shifting tectonic plates underneath the land and sea. Mount Fujiyama lies at the intersection of four of those plates incidentally. But Why Do We Wish to Climb the Mountain? There are many reasons in the diversity of the human endeavor. For some it may be the Destination.  Perhaps because no one has been at the mountain before. Perhaps to say we have done it. Perhaps it's to be the first. Perhaps it's as simple as "To get to the Top". For some it may be the Journey.

Later in the year in September, I experienced my own personal earth-shaking tidal wave of sorts during an occupational Reduction-In-Force layoff but I had heard and felt the pre-indicative rumblings for a long period of time. We don't have a lot of control over some events that happen to us along our Journey. How we handle these events may indicate a lot about who we are, how well we are prepared, how much resolve we have to go forward, and where the source of our strengths lie.

So, this Artifact is still a Work-In-Progress. I didn't get to start the little floral studies. I drafted the tryptich but have not yet initiated the finish piece. The Journey includes the Artistic Endeavor and the Creative Pursuit. Sometimes there are things we must do to recover after a life-changing event blindsides us. Sometimes we must reconnoiter a new sidestep. Who would have thought where the Path would lead one year ago? Interesting to reflect and look back at my thinking and activity one year ago. Going forward? One step at a time. One in front of the other. Today's Daily Walk. To everything there is a season.

No comments:

Post a Comment