Friday, February 3, 2012

The Best of Friends: A Mentor of Stuff n'Such


Every year during the summer, we have taken some time to coordinate a visit with long-time friends in Sangerville Maine on a lake called Center Pond. When I was an undergraduate in college out in Illinois, I became friends with one of my college professors and worked for him and his family doing some construction projects in Illinois or in Maine. Over time, we became best friends. In fact, Bob has defined for me what a best friend is about and that hasn't always been easy for me...a very private and independent person. Bob is chuckling now.

A few years ago, I decided that I would do at least one piece of art each year during the time that I went up to Maine. In my mind, it would be imperative for me to do SOMETHING at SOMETIME no matter what other activities or imperatives might be at hand...and it hasn't always been easy. One of my first Impressionistic waterscapes was At the Lake, Sangerville Maine. I remember the challenge of the wind changing the waves, the clouds, and the light so quickly. I was able to experience where the Impressionists in France would then try to capture the feeling associated with the essence observed of the motif based on the exact moment's accidental experience captured during the artist's en pleine aire session. Looking North with a late afternoon sun in the west and wind from the east, I tried to capture the churning of the water and the light filtering through the shallows with the late sunlight backlighting the tree's at high level but the low shrubs at water's edge shrouded in cool, dark shadow. My vantage point included left foot on the beach and right foot in the water so there is a bright and warm sun and a coolness in the wind and water challenging each other and me.

Original Art: At the Lake, Sangerville Maine, Copyright James E. Martin 2009

For all those past thirty years of visiting Maine, through my eyes, Bob Cassidy, my friend and mentor, has always done some creative artistic thing in some shape or form. I don't think he ever really retired after finishing his occupational endeavors because he soon emphasized his art full-time and got a street-side studio.....Stuff n'Such in Illinois. I have been fortunate to have Bob as a mentor in that I have seen him develop over a long period of time as an artist, he has given me insight into the lifetime curve years ahead of my time to arrive there. I am watching his art career emerge and evolve because his example as a lifetime learner has helped me see what it is to return to one's roots, understand one's self, find one's center of balance, begin and walk the artistic endeavor, and follow the creative pursuit even amidst adversity and life's challenges. He is still asserting self expression with an intense personal drive to continue his art journey each and every day with a sense of urgency. And he has such a wonderful family that I have been privileged to know and love.

Thank you Bob for showing me that I have an Artistic Endeavor and a Creative Pursuit to accomplish during my life's Journey and the deep satisfactions that are possible. I just talked with Bob and he filled me in on his art accomplishments conducted today and his outlook for the near future that he needs to get done. He is a fine example of the artist Living In The Moment and ambling through the Daily Walk. Here's to achieving one's Unique Potential this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment