Sunday, February 5, 2012

A JEM Model of Attribution: (I) Impressions to (J) Journey to (E) Expressions


In many of the art manifestoas that I have reviewed, Freedom of Expression is consistently asserted. I have been recently wrestling with a model of assertions that expands and explains the influence of potential freedom for the Artist. There appears to be a lot of debate, sometimes vehement, sidling close to arrogant and downright hostile, about what Art is, who is an Artist and who is Not An Artist. I find the dialog compelling.

From my humble perspective, I would hypothesize a model of approach to art in a three step phase approach: (1) The Impressions, (2) The Journey, and (3) The Expressions. Remember this for the end of today's entry, OK? To anyone who is methods-oriented, this aligns to an "Inputs-Process-Outputs (IPO) descriptive model. To clarify with different nomenclature perhaps more from an Artist's vantage point of what happens at each phase, I offer a restatement of the three steps: (a) Artistic Insight, (b) Artistic Formulation, and (3) and Artistic Exhibition. Insight, Formulation, and Exhibition, in my opinion, are closely related not just to the development of the Original Artifact but are also closely associated with the Artistic Self. Also, I would further submit that the Journey to Originality for the Artist is also about distinguishing Self from Others on the road to achieving one's Unique Potential.

Now, I offer an added definition layer to the onion skin with an emphasis on each component's contribution to the Artist's prime directive of Originality as a result of Freedom exercised at each phase of artistic execution, therefore:

The Journey                     Description                                    The Output
The Creative Pursuit          Concept Innovation for Originality    Artistic Insight
The Artistic Endeavor         Develop Approach for Originality      Artistic Formulation
The Original Artifact          Attraction of Others to Originality    Artistic Exhibition   

The purpose of citing a possible model approach is not necessarily to prescribe a three step "process" to producing art although it may serve to provide a very high level menu approach. Rather, for me, it is a descriptive summary and consolidation of many different observations and anecdotes about artist's Worldviews and Perspectives about how they approach their endeavor. As a working hypothesis, I can utilize this model of thinking to fit scenarios and anecdotes as an instrument to evaluate Differences in Worldviews and Perspectives. I want to investigate whether there is a model approach than can embrace the various artist experiences in all their complexity.

I personally am interested in exploring (A) Freedom in Artistic Insight during the Creative Pursuit, (B) Freedom in the Artistic Formulation during the Artistic Endeavor, and (C) Freedom in Artistic Exhibition through the Artist's Creation of the Original Artifact. I am further interested in how Art has an impact on and can Change the World. Or how it has historically changed the world.

Going forward, I intend to sign my artwork with my initials "JEM" which, of course, attributes the work to my heart, head, and hand. But I also intend those initials to signify "Just Every Man". The rationale herein is to understand the human experience and human nature through the experience of Art and to understand what it means to Change the World through the practice of the Creative Pursuit, the journey associated with the Artistic Endeavor, and the impact on the Artist and the Viewer due to the creation of the Original Artifact. Without disrespect to gender-biased language use, it is about "Just Every Man" to be inclusive in generic use of the term with respect and diversity.

Further, going forward, I intend to sign three letters after my initials signifying my personal relative emphasis on each of the three aspects of the work described in this blog entry denoting Impression/ Journey/ Expression, upper or lower case to signify emphasis, i.e. "IJE" or "ije" or "Ije" or  "iJe" or "ijE" or "IJe" or "iJE" or "IjE"....eight possible combinations.  Individual works may have more Life Force and Energy associated with the Insight, Formulation, or Expression phases of my creation of that particular Artifact. I will denote that sense of my perspective. For instance, I may conduct a painting after a long hike to locate the correct motif and perspective with more innovation and emphasis on the immediate observation in nature but with lesser regard for innovating in the selection of media or the time spent on the developing the artifact itself because of the need to expedite it due to environmental conditions. I might sign that Original Artifact "JEM-Ije". On the other hand, I may execute a work from a photo or a still life arrangement where relatively little emphasis is on the Insight or the Formulation of approach but much more emphasis is placed on the Expression of the idea in the development of the Original Artifact itself...the painting style and details to accomplish the desired end result. I would sign this Original Artifact "JEM-ijE".  Based on feedback over time, I may have some insights to share on the JEM model, the Artist, and the Viewer perspectives about Art. Could be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment