Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Late Summer of Life: Season of Change


Although we may live in the best of times, it appears and feels as if the times are a'changing on a global scale. In September 2011, I was part of a Reduction-In-Force layoff where I worked for 11 years. After a few weeks of getting some administrative things in order, I set up the easel in a nearby town next to a gently flowing stream and applied paint to canvas. Needed to get more dabs of Impressionism laid down. It was not necessarily a secluded motif and a few observers popped over and quietly partook of the Work-In-Progress.... aren't we all?


Original Art: Season of Change, Copyright James E. Martin 2011

I can look back at many canvases I have painted in my lifetime and they have spoken of events in my life with feelings at that moment in time. I surmise that the meaning of this one will continue to mature over time as I look back. Leaves may be falling at the end of one season but the water still flows, the light still shines, and this season too shall pass. The location and motif made me reminisce about canals in Holland 16 years ago. Which reminds me of two other paintings I would like to start and complete with someone in mind (as I take out my To Do list and add entries).

No comments:

Post a Comment