Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Equilibrium of Reasonable Art: The Artistic Endeavor


Oddly and somewhat unexpectedly, I have been drawn by Serendipity from my longstanding preference for the Impressionist era into reading and research about the origins of Modern Art evolving from the Impressionist roots. I have been extremely fortunate to come across a copy of Matisse: His art and his public (1951) by Alfred H. Barr, Jr. published by the Museum of Modern Art in NY.

Guillaume Apollinaire, a poet and art critic, interviewed Matisse and wrote up an article in La Phalange in December 15, 1907 and numerous excerpts from the article are noted in Barr's book [underscores below are my editing emphasis]. I am superstruck by those written precepts that resonate with me in these economic times today - more than a century later. This is all about The Artistic Endeavor even though some of the quotes are about Matisse's specific Creative Pursuit leading to the development of his Original Artifacts.

Photo Courtesy Guillaume Apollinaire: Internet Fair Use
  • "When I came to you, Matisse, the crowd had looked at you and as it laughed at you, you smiled. They saw a monster there where a wonder was taking shape." [Apollonaire]
  • "I have worked to enrich my knowledge by satisfying the diverse curiosities of my mind, striving to ascertain the different thoughts of ancient and modern masters of plastic art. I tried at the same time to understand their technique." [Matisse]
  • "...retrace for me the adventures of this perilous voyage to discover your own personality. It proceeds from science to conscience, and leads to complete forgetfulness of everything that is not your own self.....Instinct is no guide; it got lost and we are trying to find it." [Apollonaire]
  • "I found myself or my artistic personality by looking over my earliest works. They rarely deceive. There I found something that was always the same and which at first glance I thought to be monotonous repetition. It was the mark of my personality which appeared the same no matter what different states of mind I happened to have passed through." [Matisse]
  • "But this took place at its own good time." [Apollonaire]
  • "I made an effort to develop this personality by counting above all on my intuition and by returning again and again to fundamentals. When difficulties stopped me in my work I said to myself: 'I have colors, a canvas, and I must express myself with purity, even though I do it in the briefest manner by putting down, for instance, four or five spots of color or by drawing four or five lines which have a plastic expression.' " [Matisse]
  • "You have been reproached, my dear Matisse, for this summary expression but you have thereby accomplished one of the most difficult tasks: to give a plastic sense to your pictures without the aid of the object except as it arouses sensations." [Apollonaire]
  • "The eloquence of your works comes first of all from the combination of colors and lines. This is what constitutes the artistry of a painter and not - as some superficial spirits still believe - the mere reproduction of the object." [Apollonaire]
  • "Henri Matisse makes a scaffolding of his conceptions, he constructs his pictures by means of colors and lines until he gives life to his combinations so that they will be logical and form a closed composition from which one cannot remove a single color or line without reducing the whole to a haphazard meeting of lines and colors." [Apollonaire]
  • "To make order out of chaos - that is creation. And if the goal is to create, there must be an order of which instinct is the measure." [Apollonaire]
  • "To one who works this way the influence of other personalities can do no harm. He has his inner conviction, which comes from his sincerity; and the doubts which harass him only stimulate his curiousity." [Apollonaire]
  • "I have never avoided the influence of others. I would have considered this cowardice and a lack of sincerity toward myself. I believe that the personality of the artist develops and asserts itself through the struggles it has to go through when pitted against other personalities. If the fight is fatal and the personality succumbs, it means that this was bound to be its fate." [Matisse]
  • "It is by incessantly comparing his art with other artistic conceptions and by keeping his mind open to other related arts that Matisse has attained the greatness and confident conviction that distinguish him." [Apollonaire]
  • "...Know the artistic capacities of all races...[also know] our inheritance.....find here the nourishment that we love....and the spices from other parts of the world can at most serve us as seasoning....in spirit....meditate upon.....standing at this crossroad......look at himself.....find the path which his triumphant intuition shall follow with confidence....." [Apollonaire]
  • "We are not in the presence of some extremist adventure....the essence of Matisse's art is to be reasonable....The conscience of this painter is the result of his knowing other artistic consciences. He owes his plastic innovations to his own instinct or self-knowledge." [Apollonaire]
  • "Because there is a relationship between ourselves and the rest of the universe, we can discover it and then no longer try to go beyond it." [Apollonaire]

Dear Reader, this is precisely about the Artistic Endeavor...it is precisely about the Creative Pursuit.....it is precisely about the Inner Voice....it is precisely about finding Self in the universe of greater things...it is precisely about creating Order from Chaos....but in my humble opinion, it is not only about Creation or about Art or about Objects, not only about the development of an Original Artifact, and not only about being just an Artist.

It is about the application of one's Life Force and Energy. It's about reaching one's Unique Potential.

The "Equilibrium of Reasonable Art", a phrase that Guillaume Apollinaire instantiated in 1907....is a lot about Changing the World. But in a form and a format that has Informed Reason by the Individual, of the Individual, and for the Individual. It is all about the buying and selling of an Individual's developed Self and Expression in whatever Occupation the Artist endeavors in the Market Realm of Greater Things. This is not a trivial notion.

But what about Resistance, and Impedance, and Controls, and Differences, and Opinions? What about Tyranny and Oppression and Famine and Poverty? What about Selling Out? What about Giving Up? What about just Getting By? What about Respect and Diversity? It's about the Struggle. It's about Supply and Demand. It's about our personal Exchange through multiple Transactions with Others in the grand Marketplace for Things of Value. We each define what Value is for us at a moment in time, do we not? What do we Buy? What do we Sell? What do we Produce? What do we Consume? It's about Freedom of Expression. Are we actually free? And to what degree? It's what we choose to surround ourselves with. It's about  practical matters such as "Is_Anyone_Demanding_What_I_Want_to_Supply"? Or Is_Anyone_Consuming_What_I_Am_Producing? At what Price? At what Cost? It's about Change. It's about resolving Fairness and Equity. It's about the Past, the Present, and the Future.

Art has always been a Lightning Rod serving as a conduit for Potential Energy that Changes the World. Individuals expressing Self. Individuals who wish to criticize and Control Others. Individuals working and laboring to obtain what they Want or Need. It's a grand scheme of Equilibrium. My personal opinion is that it is not just about Art. Thank you Mr. Matisse and Mr. Apollonaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment