Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Creative Pursuit: Trial and Error


So I attempt a different pose from the several in Gustave Dore's engraving for this portion of Dante's Inferno and change the palette.

"For all the gold that is beneath the moon, Or ever has been, of these weary souls, Could never make a single one repose." Dante's Inferno Canto VII, lines 64-66


Original Art: From Dante's Divine Comedy: Hell, Purgatory, and Paradise
Wealth and Fortune - Under the Moon - Study 03  Souvenir of Dore
Copyright James E. Martin 2012

I may have worked this one too long not stopping when the image and the color was a bit fresher. The color values started to get muddier and the brush strokes less definitive over time. I finally decided to just get to a stopping point consistent with another reading of the source material and not let it get away from me.

It does constitute a different data point and interpretation from the other former studies. It is not yet the approach I wish to use in the larger work. I have a sense however that I am starting to surround the target point in the total visual space with alternatives that each have something that I might want to capture in the end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment