Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Daily Commute: Small Moments Strung Together

The challenge in these urban commute Daily Sketches will be to capture the possible image in a very short time interval, perhaps in as little as 10-30 seconds, before a person moves, changes position, or leaves the transit car. With lots of bumps, jolts, heaving and rocking side to side, brakes and fits of start....This is a new challenge for me.

Original Sketch: Commuting in Quietude- Copyright James E. Martin 2012

Some are restful in posture and position.


Original Sketch: A Meditation During Commute- Copyright James E. Martin 2012

Some appear to meditate.


Original Sketch: Dozing - Copyright James E. Martin 2012

Some appear to doze.


Original Sketch: Standing in a Distant Focus - Copyright James E. Martin 2012

Some concentrate inwardly and focus on a distant point in space while standing.

Original Sketch: Catching the News. - Copyright James E. Martin 2012

Some focus on their electronic communications.

I am using very simple materials to minimize what I carry (1) a 5" x 8 1/4" Moleskine and (2) a fat 1/2" diameter No.2 HB pencil labeled "My First Ticonderoga". It's a first grader's pencil. Combined with a backpack to transport daily goods, I feel like I am experiencing my first day of school. A beginner again in more ways than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment